Sunday, January 25, 2009

Harsh Words, but a Good Article

Disney Princesses

K loves princesses more than life itself. I think it's just something to do with being a three-year-old girl. A switch is flipped, and they are programmed to instantly eat, sleep, and breathe princesses. While this is not inherently bad, a lot of "woe-is-me" damsel-in-distress scenarios are common themes. I know it's just pretend play, but I hope we are out of the princess stage soon, so K can realize what real women do every day. They don't wait for Prince Charming to arrive on his white horse and give them a magic kiss.

Although, I still think Prince Eric is hot.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

We are all about the princesses too although Peyton has absolutely no interest in the boys(yet) and things boys are pretty gross. I have such mixed feelings about that article. I really think that it's fine though to pretend and be in that world. Reality will set in soon enough and it can be a bit depressing that we don't live in a world of prince charmings! I get a little sad when I watch Enchanted with Peyton because who doesn't love Patrick Dempsey and the life eluded too. I just have to remind myself everytime I watch that that they are in the beginning of romance and have no children...if they did a sequel, that would look very different! :-)