Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Visit

I flew to Lubbock last weekend to see my nearly 91-year-old grandmother. She has really changed a lot since December, when I last saw her.



She has been moved a few times, from a hospital, to assisted living, to a rehab place, and back to assisted living. She no longer can get out of bed by herself, and doesn't seem to want to. I suppose it's your right to want to be waited on when you're that age.

My dad didn't tell her I was coming, so it was a big surprise. I think she was a little disappointed that I didn't bring K with me, but it was much easier to make the quick trip by myself. We'll be up there for a week this summer, so she'll get her fill of K then.

Grandma, despite having lost a lot of weight and looking rather frail, still seemed like herself. She is very mentally together, and we spent about 2 hours just talking. She repeated herself slightly, but I do that too! She had her beloved Cubs game on, so that hasn't changed a bit.

Her room is small, but it looks like home. Some of her furniture and her special things are there, so it looks nice and homey.

I don't know how many more visits I'll get with her, but I am glad I was able to make this one.

My dad and stepmom are saints for getting everything set up for her. The last 6 months have been really hard on them, and I'm so glad they have been able to get her situated comfortably.

No comments: