Sunday, May 20, 2007

90 is the new 80

My grandmother turns 90 in two weeks. 90! That is incredible. I can't imagine how the world has changed in the past 90 years. What will it look like in the next 59 when I hopefully celebrate 90 years on this earth?

What do you get a woman who is turning 90? She lives in an assisted-living home where she has her own apartment, but three meals a day are eaten downstairs in the dining room. She doesn't have much space.

My stepmom is making her a scrapbook, and my mom is making her a photo quilt.

I did what I always do when faced with a shopping dilemma: I look on eBay!

I bought her three issues of the Saturday Evening Post. One is from the year she was born, one is from the 1930s, and one is from the 1940s. I figured she'll get a kick out of looking through them. I think we all will.

We have a tiny family. She has one son (my dad) and my sister and I are her only two grandkids. Her own mom died in childbirth, so she has no brothers or sisters, nieces or nephews. Just us. I'm glad we'll be there to celebrate next week. The party is going to be at her "home" since that's the easiest place for her to be. All of her friends already live there, so they are all invited.

It's been a rough few weeks, so I am eager to celebrate with her. Happy birthday, Betty!

No comments: