Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

I have never been what I would call "green." I do recycle everything I can, and I've changed to the DNA-looking lightbulbs, but other than that, I'm all about convenience. Hey, on the "How Crunchy Are You" quiz, I actually scored a 12 out of a possible 225!

But I do think about what we eat. OK, we had KFC last night, and I am seriously contemplating going to a brand-new Arby's tonight (because I loves me some Arby's and now we have one 5 minutes away ) but still. I want to be healthy, and I want K to grow up to like foods that I wasn't exposed to as a kid.

I found a neat food co-op in the area. I went to Your Health Source and read about what was in the area. For $50, you can get an order every two weeks of fruits and veggies. You pick it up at someone's house, and it's a huge Rubbermade container full of the good stuff. I've only done two pickups so far, but I've been really happy with what we got. We eat a lot of fruit. Vegetables... not so much. I am hoping that having it in the house will encourage us to eat more of it. It's all organic, which isn't something I usually pay extra for, but maybe I should.

I've also switched to hormone-free milk. I've heard all the talk about how regular milk can make girls enter puberty earlier. (So, if I drink regular milk, will I finally get breasts?)

I was inspired by the book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. The family vowed to live for one year on locally-raised food only. They grew what they could, shopped at farmers' markets, and did without things that were out of season. I admire the dedication that took. I highly doubt I could go through with that, because it's February, dammit, and I want a banana!

3 comments:

Ladybug said...

Do a web search for organic and "dirty dozen" - there's a list of fruits and veggies you should always buy organich whenever possible because when tested, they showed higher-than-usual amounts of pesticides even after washing. There's also a list of not-necessary-to-buy-organic, and bananas are on there.

That book sounds interesting, I am going to have to add it to my list! I'm with you on the bananas, N would be VERY unhappy not to have her daily banana for breakfast.

Ladybug said...

organich? What is that?

headlesschickie said...

good for you going all crunchy! I totally agree with the organic milk! We do that too. And the more veggies. I am surprised what my kids will eat if I just offer it!

And I read somewhere the other day...why will we spend so much on a gourmet ice cream, or a brand cup of coffee, but when it comes to the most impt. things like organic, we skimp out! Hit me where it hurts!